Wednesday 13 February 2008

2 Honest Coppers PC Browne & Sergeant Seaman

NORFOLK POLICE HEADQUARTERS STATION
NAME: GRAHAM CLIVE BROWNE
ADDRESS:
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH: 40 05051950
OCCUPATION: POLICE CONSTABLE: 254
Who states: - This statement consisting of 3 pages, each signed by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have wilfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.
DATED: 020391

I am Police Constable 254 Graham Clive BROWNE, of the Norfolk Constabulary stationed at Kings Lynn.
On the morning of the 2nd March, 1991, I was on routine patrol in a police vehicle with Sgt K. SEAMAN at 0124 we had just turned from Norfolk Street into Chapel Street, Kings Lynn. We then received a message via the radio to the effect that a person was laying outside the Lattice House on the road. This location was only some 100 yards away from us and we were travelling towards it. I could see on the pavement a gathering of 3 or 4 persons close to vehicles entrance to Kings Court the council offices and immediately opposite the Lattice House. I drove up to these people as I come close I saw a male person, laying face down on the pavement with his head turned to the left, facing Kings Court, he was wearing a red and white rugby shirt, blue denim jeans and brown suede shoes. There was a considerable amount of blood about his face and head also on the pavement underneath his head, also a pool of blood in the road approximately 2' from his head. I checked for a pulse but could find none, but I could see him breathing with difficulty, coughing and gurgling noises were coming from his mouth. It was ascertained from these persons standing round that nobody knew what had happened or knew who he was but they had called an ambulance. A taxi then arrived a woman got out and called to one of the men to leave, which he did. Almost immediately a man who I know to be Michael TEAL came running from behind us he stopped and said "Oh there’s one of them where’s his fucking mate gone? He then ran off in the direction of St. Nicholas Street, he was wearing a white shirt and black trousers, the shirt was covered in splashes of blood and he had blood on his face, also with him was Rodney MOORE. Who was dressed in a white shirt and black trousers with blood on his shirt he stopped and said " It’s nothing to do with him I’m going after him" and ran off, I ran to the Police car and chased after them, I stopped and picked up MOORE outside the Labour Party Office and drove off along St. Nicholas Street towards St. Anne’s Fort. I caught up with TEAL outside the Navel Reserve Public House. I said to TEAL, "Look I need to know what’s going on you have got blood all over you and there’s a man back there very seriously injured." MOORE; replied " It’s got nothing to do with him look he's got a cut on his head." I looked and saw a small cut on his forehead in my opinion not enough to give that amount of blood on his shirt. TEAL said "I'm off after his mate." At this time the owner of the Cellar Bar Neil WILLIAMSON arrived at the Naval reserve. I said I think it would be far better if you all went back to the Cellar Bar, I'll come and see you when I've got the man off to hospital, I need to know what happened." TEAL said "Fuck off I'm going home I'm not going back there." He then ran off along St. Ann’s Street, towards the junction with John Kennedy road, during the time involved with TEAL and MOORE I gained the impression that TEAL was on edge and agitated and very satisfied over events. I returned to the scene and liaised with Sgt SEAMAN at 04 0O hours I made this statement at the scene sitting in the police vehicle
G C BROWNE SIGNED
TIME: 0400 DATE: 020391


I am grateful PC Browne made this statement at 04-00hrs as the events were still fresh in his memory. "Oh there’s one of them where’s his fucking mate gone? Is very similar to what I said in my 1st interview.
" I said something about I'm going to see his mate or something, then when Rod, I think Rod turned up in a police car, then said to them I was going to go home. The police officer must have known me cause he spoke to me by my first name. I didn't really stop to see who it was..."
So when anybody mentions me saying “We’ve had him, we want the other cunt," Apart from the fact I know it was a lie, I then have to ask myself why would anyone say that? The only thing I can come up with is the Police told them I said that.

PC Browne makes another statement on the 15th of March in which he says:
Further to my statement of 2nd March, 1991, I picked up MOORE outside the Labour Party Offices in Chapel Street and continued along St. Anns Street towards St. Anns Fort where we stopped. Whilst at the scene none of the witnesses said anything about identification of assailants. When asked all denied any knowledge of what had happened, stating they had just come across him. When MOORE and TEAL ran up to the scene there was no positive identification of them by anybody at the scene to us.

DATE: 150391

Police Sergeant K Seaman who was with PC Browne made a very similar statement to the 1st one of Browne's I posted. He then makes another in which he states:


I make this statement further to the one made previously dated 2nd March, 1991, concerning the incident in Chapel St.
As previouslv stated, during the incident a man, I now know as the defendant TEAL, came running past, stopped and said, "Oh there's one of them where's his fucking mate gone." There was at that time and in response to that comment various remarks made by the people gathered around. These remarks made reference to the comment of TEAL. I formed the impression then and still believe now that these remarks were an impulsive response to his comments and not based on any prior knowledge of TEAL'S alleged activities.
At no time did anyone point out TEAL (or M00RE) as being responsible based on events that they had earlier witnessed.
K P SEAMAN SIGNED
DATED 190391

I was grateful to the statements made by both Browne and Seaman. Even when things were getting what I would call dirty they stuck to the truth. It just goes to show there are some honest Coppers out there. Thank you.

No comments: