Thursday 28 February 2008

Terry Meierhofer

NAME: TERRY JOHN MEIERHOFER
ADDRESS:
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH 22 21051968
Who states: - This statement consisting of 5 pages, each signed by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have wilfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.

DATED: 030391

T J MEIERHOFER (SIGNED)

I am the above named person and I live at the address shown overleaf. I live there with my father. I am employed as a factory operative working for British Sugar at the King’s Lynn factory. For the past eight and half months I was going out with a girl called Lisa BURRELL who lives at 69 Bishops Road, Gaywood. She finished with me about two weeks ago and Mark BRANHAM, who I used to work with, asked me out for a few drinks. Friday, 1st March 1991 was the third time I had been out drinking with Mark and his friends. At about 8 pm on Friday, 1st March 1991, I went to Mark BRANHAM’s house which is in Newlands Avenue, King's Lynn. There I met one of Mark's friends called Jason. I do not know his surname or where he lives, Mark was wearing a white casual shirt and denim jeans and Jason was wearing a dark cardigan, sports T shirt and denim jeans. We all took a taxi to the Tuesday Market Place, where we went Into the Maydens Head Public House. There we met Cliff, I don't know his surname or address but he was wearing casual clothes, and one of the DAW twins who wore a pair of trousers and a casual shirt. Also in the taxi with us was Colin, another of Mark's friends whose surname I don't know. Colin wore a greybrown suit with a casual shirt underneath. Whilst in the Mayden's Head public house I had one pint of Carlsberg lager, before we left to go to the Globe public house where I had 1 pint of lager. From there we went to Wenn's and the Lattice House public houses having one pint in each, before arriving at Chicago's public house where I had two or three pints. At about 11 pm that evening, before closing time, we all left and went to the Cellar Bar in Paige Staithe Lane, arriving between 11.15 and 11.30 pm. We paid about £1.00 entry fee and once inside we all stood together at the centre of the large bar. Whilst in the Cellar Bar I had two more pints of beer and spent the time talking with my friends and having a couple of dances. Between 12.30 pm and 1.00am my attention was drawn to a disturbance to my left. I saw one of the bouncers, whose name I don't know, but I realised he was a bouncer because he was dressed in black trousers and a white shirt and he conducted himself in the manner of a bouncer, he was taking another man out the bar holding him by the back of the neck. The man he was taking out was 5'8" tall, with short fair hair almost in a crew cut, stocky build, wearing a rugby shirt which had four quarters of different colours. In hindsight, I now know the person who was ejected to be the person who was killed in Chapel Street, who I now know to be Tony GORMAN. I couldn't tell if GORMAN was with anyone.
I carried on enjoying myself until the disco finished and the main lights were put on. It was about 1.00 am I left the Cellar Bar together with my friends Cliff, Mark, Colin and Jason. As we walked up the steps to Page Staithe Lane I saw GORMAN stood on the right hand side of the steps at the top, leaning against the wall. He was talking to someone who I didn't recognise and seemed quite calm. I couldn't describe the people he was talking to. As a group we all walked to the Tuesday Market Place keeping to the left and walking straight to St. Nicholas Street. Once in St. Nicholas Street we started crossing the road by Ward Gethin solicitors and as we did I saw GORMAN run past us towards Chapel Street. He was pursued by two men at least. I would describe the two men as follows:-

1) Stocky build, 5'8" tall, short fair hair, wearing a white shirt and black trousers. I believe that it was the bouncer who thrown GORMAN out of the Cellar Bar earlier.

2) Medium build, 5'10" tall, dark brown curly hair that appeared to be permed, wearing a light casual shirt and probably trousers.

I believe that I would, recognise both of these men again. Upon reaching Chapel Street, they turned right and I lost view of them behind a building. As we reached the gravel car park I looked across outside the council offices I could see one person kicking out. I couldn't see what he was kicking. The lighting wasn't very good across the car park and all I could really see was the outline of this person kicking out. We walked up to the junction with Chapel Street and turned right into Chapel Street. I could see the body of GORMAN lying on the road. I walked to the body, together with Mark, Jason and Colin. When I reached it I saw that it was Tony GORMAN he lay on his back, his waist downwards on the footpath and above his waist on the road, immediately outside the council offices. I saw and heard that GORMAN was breathing strangely. We sent Jason down to the Phoenix taxi office to call an ambulance and as he went a man and a woman ran down the road to us. The man, who was about 5'8" tall with permed dark hair and a dark moustache, wearing casual clothes, said, "Leave it to me, I know what to do." He placed GORMAN into the recovery position on his side and we waited for the ambulance, within a short space of time a police car arrived. One of the policemen was bent down kneeling over GORMAN and the other stayed by the police car. Whilst the policeman knelt over GORMAN the bouncer who had ejected GORMAN came back again, running from the direction of the taxi office. He approached from behind me he stopped briefly and looked at GORMAN saying, "That's one of the bastards" before running off towards the Church. I didn't see exactly where he went. Shortly afterwards another man came running towards us from the direction of the taxi office. He ran straight past us in the same direction as the first bouncer. This man was dressed in a white shirt; he was over 5'10", medium build, running down St. Ann's Street out of sight. As he ran past he seemed to be panicking, he said something like, "That's alright, that's alright." The Police officer, by the car, drove after those two men, and the policeman next to GORMAN told us we could go. We all walked to the taxi office in Norfolk Street, where I believe we took a taxi back to Mark's house where I stayed the night. When I saw GORMAN lying on the ground, before he was turned over, I saw his face covered with blood, with a puddle of blood next to his head on the road. When I saw the bouncer on the last occasion coming up Chapel Street from the direction of the taxi office, and stopped nearby us to make his comment, I noticed that he had blood on his face and on his shirt.

T J MEIERHOFER
DATE 030391
OFFICERS SIGNATURE: PC116 FRY

No comments: