Saturday 8 March 2008

Clifford Ellis

NAME: CLIFFORD MICHAEL ELLIS
ADDRESS:
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH: 22 10071968
OCCUPATION: SELF EMPLOYED GROUND WORKER
Who states: - This statement consisting of 5 pages, each signed by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have willfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.
DATED: 030331
CLIFFORD ELLLIS (SIGNED)
I am the above named person and I live at the address shown overleaf. I live there with my mother, two sisters SHELLEY aged 20 and XXX aged 12 and two brothers XXXXX aged 21 and XXXX aged 19. I have lived at that address for about 10 years. I am a self employed ground worker; sub contracted to Winchester homes, currently working at Station Road, Watlington.
When I go out for a night in the town at King's Lynn, I usually go to the Mayden's Head Public house or Chicago's, after which we often end up at the Cellar Bar in Page Staithe Lane. I always go out with the same circle of friends who are Mark BRAMHAM, Jason COLEMAN, Gary DAW, Wayne DAW and my sister Shelley MITCHELESON.
On Friday 1st March 1991, I drove my car, which is a Ford Sierra, registered number: LEV413Y, to the Snooker Club in John Kennedy road, King's Lynn. From there I walked to the Mayden's Head public house, arriving at 9.00 pm. Where I met Mark BRAMHAM, JASON COLEMAN, Terry MYERHOFFER and a lad called Colin whose surname I believe is Colin LORD and Wayne DAW. MARK, who was wearing denim jeans and a casual shirt, lives in Newlands Avenue, King's Lynn. JASON, who was wearing denim jeans, a T-shirt and a dark cardigan, lives in Columbia Way, King's Lynn. COLIN, who was wearing a green/grey suit jacket and trousers with a casual shirt underneath the jacket, lives in Newlands Avenue, as a lodger MARK. TERRY was wearing jeans, but I can't remember anything else about him. He is a friend of MARK’s, who he used to work with, but I don't know where he lives, in Terrington. WAYNE, who was wearing dark trousers and a shirt and tie, lives at 149, Columbia Way, King's Lynn. We didn't meet GARY and SHELLEY until we reached the Cellar Bar. Whilst we were in the Mayden's Head public house, I had 2 pints of lager to drink. From there we all went to the Globe Public House, where I had 1 pint to drink. Then we went to Wenn's public house where I had 1 pint of lager, before going to the Lattice House public house, where I also had 1 pint of lager. Finally, we went to Chicago's public house, where I had two or three pints of lager before we went to the Cellar Bar Club, arriving at about 11.00pm. Once inside, we stood as a group near to centre of the largest side of the bar, together with my sister SHELLEY and GARY. Whilst in the Cellar Bar, I drank a further 2 pints of lager and a bottle of pils lager. During the next two hours, I stayed with my friends except for some time that I spent talking to Sue FOX whose birthday it was. Sue was wearing a multi coloured suit or dress, she lives in Kinchinbrook Close, Rainbow estate, King's Lynn. She was with two of her friends, a Lisa SPRINGALL, who wore a black dress and “SAM” (Samantha) CROSS, who wore a short cape like jacket though I’m not sure what else. I think that SAM lives on the Rainbow Estate and LISA lives in a flat in Norfolk Street. Whilst talking to SUE, we had to work hard to make each other heard over the noise, so I was not really aware of anything that happened around us. We were stood at the end of the bar near the toilets. I can remember one incident that happened at about 12.50 am, Saturday 2 March 1991. My attention was drawn to someone being thrown out. I didn't see what happened to cause the ejection and I didn't see which door man was taking the man out, but in hindsight, I believe the man being ejected who was wearing a rugby shirt, which had quarters on the front two of which were white, was the man who I now know to be the victim Tony GORMAN. After he had been taken out, I had a slow dance with Sue FOX and said goodnight to her. She returned to her friends and I returned to my friends, who were still at the centre of the bar. Once the lights had been turned on, I left with MARK, JASON, COLIN and TERRY. As we walked up the stairs, I again saw GORMAN. He was stood about three to four steps up from the bottom leaning against the wall. I did not see any fighting or commotion outside the Cellar Bar. When we reached the top of the stairs we walked through a large crowd of people who were milling about. The only person I recognised in amongst the crowd was Sue FOX. Upon reaching the Market Place, we kept to the left walking towards St. Nicholas Street. As we reached Ward Gethin, we crossed St Nicholas Street and whilst doing so, a youth ran past us, running across the front of us. I believe that it was GORMAN. He was followed closely by two other men, only about ten yards behind him. I hadn't seen these two men before that night, and I do not know then. I would describe then as follows:-
1. White, male, 5'8" tall, black curly hair which was quite short, mid twenties, medium build. I can't remember what he wore.
2. White, male, about 5'10" tall, mid twenties, but I can't remember anything else about him.
The two men caught up with GORMAN outside the Tudor Hose public house, where several punches were thrown by all of them, no more than a couple each. I couldn't see if any punches landed. GORMAN then started running again and when he reached Chapel Street, he turned right and ran towards the Lattice House public house followed by the other two men. At this time a third man ran past us, chasing after the other three. I would describe him as being a white male, 6' tall, of heavy build bordering on fat, middle 20's, wearing a loose top which flapped about as he ran and I believe jeans, mousey blonde hair, which was not long. I was also aware of another man about 40 yards behind us, who I can only remember as being tall. As we reached the gravel car park, I looked across in the direction of the Lattice House public house. I could see a scuffle going on involving the three people who had run past me and the victim GORMAN. The three were around GORMAN, though I can't remember if GORMAN was stood up or lying on the ground. It looked as if all three were involved in attacking him. My view was then blocked by the building opposite the Tudor Rose public house. When I reached the corner we turned right into Chapel Street. The three attackers had gone but I could see GORMAN lying on his back on the ground with his torso and legs on the pavement and his head on the road opposite the Lattice House public house. I wasn't aware of his injuries. I didn't feel very well at this time, having had too much to drink, so I left my friends who walked on down Chapel Street to get something to eat, walking towards where GORMAN lay. I turned into Austin Street where I joined my sister SHELLEY and her boyfriend Gary DAW (I can't remember what GARY was wearing). We all walked to Raby Avenue via John Kennedy Road and Loke Road, cutting through by the Retreat Public House. When I describe the third person as being fat, it may have just been the man's top or jacket filled with air as he ran, rather than fat.
CLIFFORD ELLIS SIGNED

No comments: