Friday 7 March 2008

Mark Bramham

NAME: MARK DAVID BRAMHAM
ADDRESS:
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH: 26 15041964
OCCUPATION: SHOP ASSISTANT
Who states: - This statement consisting of 7 pages, each signed by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have wilfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.
DATED: 030391
M BRAMHAM (SIGNED)

I am the above named person and reside at the address shown overleaf. I was born on 15th April 1964 at King's Lynn. I used to live in Hunstanton until early 1989 when I moved to my present address. I regularly use the town centre pubs of King's Lynn and I now know quite a lot of people by sight but not all by name. On Friday 1st March I came into town for a drink with a group of friends these being:
1.Cliffford ELLIS from North Lynn.
2. Colin LORD from the same address.
3. Terry MIAHOFFER from Terrington somewhere and
4. Jason COLMAN from Columbia Way, but I don't know the number.
We first visited the Maidens Head Pub on the Tuesday Market Place. We arrived all together in a taxi about 9.15 pm. We had a drink in there. I consumed 1 pint of lager tops we then moved on to the Globe and I had another pint of lager tops and then we moved to the Wenns and had another pint of lager tops. We then went to Chicago but could not get in so we went back to the Maides Head and had one or perhaps two more pints of lager tops. We then went back to Chicago. There I had two more pints of lager tops and then we went to the Cellar Bar in Paige Stair Lane. We arrived all together at about midnight or just after. The bar was very busy. We paid our pound admission and went to the bar and purchased another pint of lager. We all stood together talking and I consumed at least two more pints of lager. CLIFFORD and JASON went off at some stage dancing with some girls and stayed with them. We were standing more or less in the centre of the bar Ieaning against it. Just before one o'clock I went upstairs to the toilet, whilst I was up there I heard a very loud bang from the bar area, I did not know what this was. When I went back down in to the bar the lights had been switched on. I saw people standing round and that a TV set had been knocked or fallen from its stand and smashed on the ground. I moved back to my group, who were still at the bar but had moved further along and were about 10 feet from the bottom and near a pillar. CLIFFORD and JASON had returned, and all five of us stood together. I finished my drink. Near a pillar in the centre of the bar I saw a lad I would describe as short and stocky with dark short hair, I can't recall his clothing, being grabbed by another lad I would describe as being quite tall about 6' tall, well built with short fair hair, wearing a light coloured shirt and dark trainers. I think he works in the bar as a bouncer. The bigger lad had hold of the other with both hands round the throat; from the front he then pushed him backwards, still holding his throat, to the main entrance. Here he pushed him against the wall near the door. I did not see what happened between these two anymore. I did not hear any conversation between these two at any time. We then watched the monitor which shows the entrance steps which was situated near the till, I could see people running past the camera and up the stairs, I could see something was going on but could not tell what. More or less straight away, all my group left together, this was about 1.10 am. We went up the stairs out of the bar, there were a lot of people perhaps as many as a hundred, standing round the top of the stairs talking, waiting for taxi's and I did not see anything unusual happening. We all walked round to Barclay's Bank on the Tuesday Market Place and we were joined by a girl CAROLINE, who I don't know, (she was with JASON), she then got some money from the bank. We all then walked across the Market Place to the corner near the employment offices. We then started to walk up Saint Nicholas Street towards Chapel Street. As we got near the archway in Ward Gethin wall, we were on that side of the road. I became aware of footsteps of people running behind us. I looked round and saw one man I would describe as bald or really short hair, being chased by two other men. I can only describe as male, white, about my age, dressed in light tops but I cannot recall their descriptions any further, as they were running very fast. They were all on the opposite footpath to us. The two chased the other lad across the road and almost up to the building near the junction. They half caught him here and pulled at his clothing, but he managed to get away and ran onto the car park and towards the Council offices. As this scuffle took place I was aware of another lad approaching from behind, he was breathing very heavily, he was exhausted; he was on the opposite footpath to us. I would describe him as male, white, about 20-23 yrs, 5'6"-5'3" tall, he looked quite short and stocky. He had dark. neat hair, dressed in I think dark trousers, perhaps dark jeans, he looked to have a tight, T-shirt or rugby shirt on with long sleeves which I can only describe as dark, it did not have any pattern or motifs on it. I did not see where this lad went as my attention returned to the lad being chased. I cannot be certain but someone mentioned some blood on his face but I did not see any. We started to walk across the car park in and out of the parked cars, intending to go to Norfolk Street for supper. When we reached the entrance of the car park on Chapel Street we met Gary DAW and a girl I only know as SHELLY. I know she lives with Clifford ELLIS in North Lynn. I know GARY comes from Columbia Way, King's Lynn. GARY and SHELLY were about to walk down Austin Street I think it's called, past the old driving test place. GARY said "There's a lad up there been given a good beating and we saw it", they then walked down the road I described. Clifford ELLIS joined these two and walked off with them. The remainder of our group, which was TERRY, CAROLINE, COLIN, JASON and I, carried on to walk to Norfolk Street. I saw a lad laying on the footpath outside the council office. Prior to our crossing the car park as we stepped over the railings, I saw at least two men which appeared the same two that had chased the other man, had caught him and were kicking and punching him. At this time I would say I was seventy five yards away but the area was well illuminated. I cannot say who was actually doing what to the lad; it was just a flurry of punches and kicks. I can't say if he was still standing or if they had knocked him to the ground or he had fallen or what had happened. I then carried on walking. I did not see where these lads ran away to but they had gone and one lad was laying on the ground. I can say that they did not run past us. The lad was flat on his back with his head in gutter feet facing the council offices, hands by his sides and he was gasping for breath, he had a lot of blood over his face. I can say this was definitely the lad who had been chased, I recall a “Rose” motif on his shirt, I had seen him in the Cellar Bar earlier. No-one attempted first aid or anything, we just looked at him. JASON then ran to the taxis and ordered an ambulance. He returned and we stood looking and just talking to each other about him. We were all right near him on the road and path. It seemed as if we waited ages, so I ran back with JASON to the taxi place to see if they had ordered an ambulance, JASON remained at the taxi place, I ran back to the man. After a short time, perhaps just seconds, JASON came back with another lad, he was smart in a suit, he had dark spikey hair this lad and I then moved the injured man onto his right side into the recovery position, off the road. A Police car then approached from Norfolk Street. I ran to the car and told the officers there had been some trouble and he then drove up to where the lad was laying. I also ran back, a matter of seconds later I saw the same man that had hold of the man by the throat in the bar, run towards us from the taxi place direction. He looked at the man on the ground and said "That's one of the bastards, where's the other one" and he ran off towards the Church but I don't know where he went. This lad that ran past at that time could have been one of the men I saw chasing the other earlier, as he appeared to be dressed the same. I can also say that when this man ran past when we were near the injured man, he had blood on his shirt front but I did not see any on his face. The whole incident, the assault lasted about 3 minutes. I did not have a clear view of it all because of the cars we were walking between on the car park. I think I could recognise the lads if I saw them again because their faces seemed familiar, I have seen them in local pubs. There is only one person I can recall knowing when I came to the top of the stairs, coming out of the bar and that was Carl SxxxxxxN. He was dressed in a long dark coat, I do not know him, I only know him by sight because of his body building. I do not know who he was with. It's fair to say I know a lot of lads in town by sight but not by name as I have not been in the town that many years and I also work out of town. That night I was wearing green trousers, brown slip on shoes, a shirt which is purple, white and khaki, Paisley patterned.

M BRAMHAM: SIGNED

No comments: