Saturday 5 April 2008

New Twist



I can't begin to imagine what the Gorman family was going through at this stage. I did try to make contact with Mr Gorman, Tony’s dad, but understandably he didn’t want to know. After all he’d been led to believe by the Police that I had committed the crime. When I was told the Murder charge was to be reduced to manslaughter, rather than being elated which you might expect, I was angry. Although I thought I was been set up for this Murder, I always knew they didn’t have anything on me. I was looking forward to my day in court so the truth could come out.
In the news cutting if you read the very last bit by Detective Superintendent Fraser, he says “At this stage we are not looking for anyone else”. He might well have said we’ve made a big balls up of this from start to finish. Let me just explain what they had at this stage:-
They had me of course, but everything I had told the Police checked out. I walked a different way from where the attack took place. Not one statement out of 187 witnesses said I left the club other than when I left with Hayley Garrigan. I had Hayley Garrigan's statement which confirmed the way we went, Rory Sandish, and Robert White (the other friend of Tony Gorman) confirmed speaking with me on the Market Place and both described which way I went and then you have Rod who said he followed me when I ran off after speaking to Robert White. I went on 8 I.D. parades and wasn’t picked out on any.
Karl had plenty of people who could account for his actions after leaving the club. Again out of the 187 witnesses who gave statements no one mentioned me and Karl been together that night. The only thing and I mean the only thing that linked us, was I told the Police Karl had come and told me about there being trouble outside. If I had failed to tell them that and just said I went outside because I heard there was some trouble going on, Karl Somerton would never have been brought into this, I strongly believe that. The Police were looking for a third person and poor old Karl got the short straw. I’m deeply sorry I ever mentioned him but when you’re arrested on suspicion of murder, I think telling the truth is the only way.
Then you have gary withers, did the Police just pick his name out of a hat. I don’t think so .In his original statement he said he left the club at 12.30 am some 50 minutes before the Murder took place took a walk across the Market Place with his friend howard allan to Norfolk Street, a journey that was timed by the Police to take 4 minutes. Jumped into a taxi and went home. His friend howard allan confirmed they left together etc. But hang on a minute the Manager of the snooker club says withers followed him into the snooker club when he was about to lock up about 1 o’clock. He remembers it very well because withers stuck his mouth under a beer tap and helped himself. There were other statements to say wither’s was at the Cellar bar when the trouble was happening outside. Obviously we have the taxi driver’s statement. We also have 2 witnesses who picked him out. We have the girl with the amazing gift of being able to guess what clothes withers had in his wardrobe.
So when Detective Superintendent Fraser says “we’re not looking for anyone else”, a lot of emotions run through me, most of them unprintable. Could he with all the information available to him, believe he had the right three. The man’s a fool if he thought that, he is a disgrace to the uniform.

No comments: