Thursday 31 January 2008

Gary Daw

NORFOLK POLICE HEADQUARTERS
NAME: GARY DAVID DAW
ADDRESS:
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH: 24 160119iS7
OCCUPATION: CARPENTE
Who states: - This statement consisting of 7 pages, each Signed by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have willfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.
DATED: 030391
G D DAW (SIGNED)
I am Gary David DAW and I live at the address stated overleaf where I have lived for most of my life. I live there with my mother and father, and my twin brother WAYNE. About 9.15 on the evening of Friday, 1st March 1991, I left my house and drove to my girlfriend's house, Shelley MITCHELSON, who lives in Raby Avenue, King's Lynn. I drove there in my red Ford XR3, registered number: C434VX3V. I left my car parked outside my girlfriend's house, and the two of us then walked into King's Lynn town centre. The first place we went into was the Maydens Head on the Market Place, King's Lynn. We would have arrived there at about 9.30pm to 9.40 pm. We only had the one drink in the Maydens Head as it was quite busy and so we left at about 10.15 pm. We walked from the Mayden’s Head, directly across the Tuesday Market Place to the Cellar Bar, in Page Stair lane. When we arrived I think there were two bouncers on the door. I am quite a regular at the Cellar Bar, going once or twice a week, usually on a Thursday or Friday night. I do not know the bouncers but I recognised them as having worked there before. They were both dressed in black trousers, with white shirts and ties. I think they were also wearing black jackets. When I went into the actual main bar area it seemed fairly quiet. The place does not normally get full until the pubs close. I can't remember whether there was anyone in the club who I knew. The club started to get busy just after 11.00 pm when the pubs were shutting. Some friends of mine arrived about 11.15 pm; Clifford ELLIS (SHELLEY'S brother, who lives at 11, Raby Avenue); Jason COLEMAN (150 Columbia Way); Mark BRAMHAM (13, Newlands Avenue); and my brother WAYNE. They were with two friends of MARK's, COLIN and TERRY, but I don't know their surnames. The only other person in the club who I knew by name was WAYNE's girlfriend Sandra SMITH. I spoke to other people in the club who I know only by face, through football, as I play football for St. Margaret’s in the Sunday league. At one point during the evening a man with short blond hair, in a skin head style, who I think maybe, was losing his hair, spoke to me. I think it was about 12.00 midnight, though I cannot be sure as I was not keeping track of the time. He was wearing a shirt with red and white squares on it, but I can't remember what trousers he had on. He asked me whether I knew somebody whose name he mentioned. I did not know the person, and I can't remember what the name was. He asked me this about 2 or 3 times and then I walked off. I got the impression that he thought I knew who he was talking about, which is why he had asked me two or three times, and he seemed a little annoyed that I couldn't tell him who he was. Most of the evening SHELLEY and I were standing in the middle of the long part of the bar. At one point in the evening, probably around 12.15 am to 12.30 am, I was upstairs in the toilet, when I came down again I saw that a television which is normally on the wall near the bottom of the stairs inside the club, was missing. I could see that there was broken glass from the television screen lying on the floor, though I didn't see the television itself. I did not hear the television smash and I can give no account as to how it got broken. Later on in the evening just before the club was about to close, I saw one of the bouncers ejecting the man with the blond hair who I described earlier. I saw the bouncer walk him to the door, holding him with his hands around his neck. He walked him to the door, and I could not see what happened then. I then looked at the close circuit television which is behind the bar and I could see the man who had just been ejected standing two or three steps up from the doors. I did not see what had led up to the man being ejected, or what he had done to be ejected. A short while later, probably about ten minutes, I left the club with SHELLEY. We walked through the doors, and walked up the stairs. At the top of the stairs I again saw the blond haired man. This time he was arguing with another man who I would describe as stockily built, either curly or permed hair, which was quite bushy, and black in colour. He was clean shaven but I can't remember what he was wearing. I have seen the man in town before but I don't know who he is. I hadn't seen the man in the club that evening and the first time I saw him was at the top of the stairs. The blonde haired man looked to me as if he was trying to pick a fight with the other man. There were a few other people standing around watching them, but I didn't know any of them. There was also a lot of people leaving the club at the time. We walked past the two arguing men. Whilst we walking up Page Stair Lane towards the Tuesday market Place, I heard the noise of girls screaming coming from behind me. I stopped and turned around to see as many as half a dozen people, I think mainly men, either falling down the stairs or chasing somebody down the stairs. I could no longer see the blonde haired man standing at the top of the stairs. I then carried on walking with SHELLEY, towards the Tuesday Market Place. We had intended to walk to her house, but as we walked along the edge of the Market Place, about half way across the Market Place, SHELLEY decided she wanted to get a taxi home and so we walked right across the Market Place to the little cobbled street between the two banks. We walked all the way down the cobbled street and at the end turned left and went into the taxi office at the end. Throughout this walk there was only SHELLEY and myself together. No-one else was with us. We asked the man who was working in the taxi office (which used to be Glebe), how long it would be before we could get a taxi. He told us that we wouldn't get one for at least 15 minutes and so we told him we would leave it, and decided to walk home. At the time there was I think just one other man in the taxi office and about five or six girls. I did not know any of these people. We came out of the taxi office and started to walk home, along Chapel Street, towards the Lattice House. As we reached the comer of the Lattice House, having just crossed the little lane which runs between the Lattice House and the Dukes Head Hotel, I saw the blonde skin-headed man running towards me. He was on the same side of the road as us at first and then he crossed the road to the other side outside the Council offices. I got the impression that he had run from the direction of St. Nicholas Church and thought he must have run past the Tudor Rose, right to the end of the road and then turned right into Chapel Street. I then saw that he was being chased by three men. At this time the men were about 20 feet behind the blonde haired man. The three men caught up with the other man just outside the Council offices, about level with the main entrance door of the Council offices. Two of the three men were a little way ahead of the other one, who didn't appear to be running. Those two men then punched the blonde haired man to the ground, with only one or two punches. The man fell to the ground and the men then started to kick him repeatedly. I can't remember whether they kicked him with both legs, or just kept using one leg, but they kicked him a number of times. They were mainly kicking the man on his head, rather than kicking his body. At the time this was happening, SHELLEY and I were level with them though we were on the opposite side of the road. The third one of the three men joined the other two just as we had walked past. I cannot say whether or not he had also kicked the man on the floor, but I saw he was bent down over the man, and I think he was punching him. SHELLEY and I carried on walking away and then we met our friends from the club who were walking towards us. That is Clifford ELLIS, Jason COLEMAN and Mark BRANHAM. Clifford ELLIS came to walk with us, whilst JASON and MARK walked past. They were with a girl whom they had both been with all night. CLIFFORD, SHELLEY and I carried on walking away. I did turn round once to see the blonde haired man just lying on the pavement. His body was on the pavement but his head was hanging over the kerb onto the road. As far as I remember, I cannot recall seeing anybody else anywhere near the man lying on the pavement, either the three men I had seen chasing him, or any of my friends. We then walked down past the old Driving Test Centre, and so I could not see any more. None of the three men had run back past me and I didn't actually see where any of them went. I carried on walking until I got home. I did not recognize any of the three men who I saw chasing the other men. I think the first two men both had dark hair, and were tall and of medium to heavy build. The third man, who had been behind the other two at first, had either light or dark hair, I can't remember, and I think he was possibly shorter than the other two. I don't think any of the men would have had white shirts on or anything particularly light, because they would have stood out. I can't remember having seen any of the three men before that evening either in the Cellar Bar, or outside the Cellar Bar. I do not think I would recognize any of the men again if I saw them. Throughout the course of the evening I had consumed about 4 to 5 pints of lager and lime, and so I would not have been drunk, and my recollection of the events is quite clear. The curly haired man, who I had seen the blonde-haired man arguing with outside the Cellar Bar, was not one of the three men who chased him.
G D DAW: SIGNED

No comments: