Thursday 7 February 2008

Robert White

NORFOLK POLICE HEADQUARTERS STATION
NAME: ROBERT JOHN WHITE
ADDRESS:
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH: 22 16101968
OCCUPATION: ROOFER
Who states: - This statement consisting of 10 pages, each signed by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and I-make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to prosecution if I have willfully stated in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true.
DATED: 020391 R J WHITE (SIGNED)

I am Robert John WHITE, and I live at the address stated overleaf where I have lived for approximately ten weeks. Before this I was lodging at 127 Columbia Way, Kings Lynn, where Greta was the landlady. I do not know Greta’s surname. I lived at that address for three to four months. Since I moved to Norfolk in 1982 I first of all lived with my parents until 1985, but since then I have lived at a number of addresses both in Kings Lynn and in London, but I did not stay at the addresses for longer than 6 months. Since I was seventeen years old I have known a man called Gary HILL, who lives at 24 George Street, Kings Lynn and we are close friends. In the summer of 1990 I got to know a man called Tony GOREMAN who worked with Gary HILL, and I met him socially through Gary. In November 1990 I started working with Tony GOREMAN and so we became close friends. Gary HILL used to work for G.W. KIER of 1 Willow Road, Heacham, which is where Tony also worked; when Gary HILL left the firm in November 1990 I took over his position, working with Tony. I also know a man called Gary SEWELL and I have known him since May, 1990. I returned from London in May, 1990, to Kings Lynn, and I started working with Gary SEWELL at Lyntool Engineering Company, Paxman Road, Hardwick Industrial Estate, Kings Lynn. Gary SEWELL lives at 29 Browning Place, Kings Lynn. As part of my social life I often go out with Tony GOREMAN and Gary SEWELL, on most Friday and Saturday nights. We always meet in the Wild Fowler Public House, Gayton Road, Kings Lynn, and after a couple of drinks we would go to the New Inn, Wootton Road, Kings Lynn, and after that we would go to Kings Lynn town centre. We would often end up in the Cellar Bar, Page Stair Lane, Kings Lynn. Over the last two months we have been to the Cellar Bar two or three times a month. We would normally arrive there about 11.00pm to 11.30pm. Through my visits there I know one of the bouncers as Mickey TANNER. He is about 6'0" tall, or slightly taller, with a pale complexion and short blonde hair. He is well built with a large chest. As I would go into the Cellar Bar he would nod to me and I would nod back to him, as we recognised each other by face, though I have never spoken to him. I understand that he knows Gary HILL quite well. Mickey TANNER lives in a caravan at the back of George Street, Kings Lynn, where he is doing up a house. This is opposite where Gary HILL lives. When I go out with Gary SEWELL and Tony GOREMAN and we have a few beers, they often get a bit loud, full of high spirits, not violent or aggressive. They often take the mickey out of me and out of each other for example. When we went to the Cellar Bar together, Gary SEWELL and Tony GOREMAN would often have words with Mickey TANNER if he was on the door. It would be a bit of friendly mickey taking out of each other, but there was nothing serious or aggressive in it. On the evening of Friday 1st March, 1991, I went to the Wild Fowler Public House at about 7.40pm. I was due to meet both Gary SEWELL and Tony GOREMAN in there at 8.00pm, but they both arrived just before. When I first got there I ordered a pint of Lowenbrow lager, for myself and when the other two arrived I got them both a pint of lager shandy. We stayed in the Wild Fowler until about 10.00pm, during which time we had about 4 pints of lager each. I rang for a taxi from Kens Taxi firm at about 9.50pm, and I used Tony’s name. The taxi arrived about 10 minutes later and took us to the Wootton New Inn, Wootton Road, Kings Lynn. When we got there we went into the Sport Bar, which is the one furthest from the road at the back of the pub. We were served by a lady who I know as Mrs. SPAIN and we only had one pint each whilst we were there, a pint of Holsten. We left the pub at about 10.30pm and were given a lift into town by two men with Geordie accents who drove a blue Austin Maestro, possibly D registration. I did not know these men, and I don't remember having even seen them in the New Inn. They first of all drove us to the rear of Gary SEWELL's house in Browning Place, as Gary had told the men he had to collect his inhaler. The men waited for us as he only took about three minutes and then they drove us to the Tuesday Market Place, Kings Lynn, where they dropped us off outside the Maydens Head, Public House. Once they had dropped us off I didn't see the two Geordie lads again that evening. All three of us then went into the Maydens Head where we all had another pint of lager, Holsten this time. One of the girls who works behind the bar, Kelly GALLAGHER is the sister of one of the people I live with and she also lives there. Her boyfriend John whose surname I don't know was standing at the bar. He lives somewhere in North Lynn but I don't know the address. We left the pub just as the bell was being rung for time, signifying that the pub was about to close. I think this was about 11.10pm. We all walked from the pub directly across the Tuesday Market Place, to the Cellar Bar, Page Stair Lane, Kings Lynn. When we reached the Cellar Bar we went down the steps and through the double doors into the pub. As we went through the doors I saw a man inside who I recognised, but whose name I don't know. He told us that we had to pay £1.00 to get in. We all paid our money and then walked through to the main bar. We all went straight to the bar and ordered a pint of lager each, but I don't know what sort of lager it was. Having got our drinks we all had a walk around to see who else was in there to nave a chat to. We were all together at first, but gradually we split up. The club was fairly packed at this time. The first person who I met and talked to was a man who I know as Chips. I don't know his full name, but he lives behind the flats where Gary SEWELL lives, in Browning Place. I then saw two other friends who I know Steven JACKSON (nickname Stid) and Paul HUNT. Stid lives at Terrington St. clement, but I don't know where Paul HUNT lives. I spoke to another person I knew in there called Terry MAHOFFER, but I don't know where he lives. I know his father lives at Tilney All Saints, just down from the school. Throughout the evening I was walking around the club, but I often met up with Gary SEWELL and Tony GOREMAN near the bench which is at the far end of the bar, in the-back left hand corner of the premises near the door to the toilets. This is right behind the Disc Jockeys rostrum. About 12.30am to 12.45am there was an incident involving a television set which is normally on a bracket attached to the wall to the right of the bench, above a heater. I do not know how the television set came to cone off the wall but I remember it being in place at one moment and then after I had had a walk around with Paul HUNT I returned to the bench and I saw the glass from the television screen on the floor, but I don't know where the television had gone. The bouncer who I know as Mickey TANNER was standing there when I returned. I remember him saying something like "I don’t care who did it" as if he wasn't worried about the damage I sat down and started talking to a girl called Sam. I don't know where she lives, or her surname, but she works on the Gaywood Pizza shop, in Wootton Road. Also present was a girl called Sue, whose surname I don't know but who I think lives in South Wootton and another girl I don't know. I can't remember whether Gary SEWELL and Tony GORMAN there at this time. I then remember Gary and Tony being there, and the fact that Gary was being a bit loud. One of the bouncers, who had short dark hair, came and had a word with Gary and told him to quieten down. All three of us decided it was time to leave. I got up and walked out with the girl called Sue and I think that Gary SEWELL followed on behind us. I don't know what happened to Tony GOREMAN at this time. I walked outside and went to the top of the stairs outside where I waited for the other two. Gary SEWELL kept coming up and then going back into the club looking for Tony. I was standing at the top of the stairs in doorway of the snooker club. I was aware that there were couples coming out of the club, walking up the stairs, when I saw that there was a bit of a scuffle taking place at the bottom of the stairs. I do not know who was involved in the scuffle but I assumed it, was bouncers because I could see white shirts. I then remember seeing Gary SEWELL being held against the wall of the top of the stairs by the bouncer Mickey TANNER. The bouncer had Gary held around the throat by I think one hand, but I do not know which hand. They were arguing and had their faces very close to each other. I then saw Mickey TANNER head butt Gary SEWELL in the face. I started to walk towards them, when I saw another of the bouncers running up the stairs. I would describe him as being in his mid thirties, with short cropped hair, who I think is called MOORE. He split Mickey TANNER up from Gary SEWELL. As Gary turned away I saw that he had a cut above his eye, and I saw that Mickey had a cut on his forehead, and that his shirt was covered in blood. Gary then walked past me and towards the Tuesday Market Place. I then become aware that there was another scuffle at the top of the stairs when a girl, either fell or was pushed down the stairs. I then saw the girl hobble back up the stairs, and stand again the wall at the top of the stairs. I then saw a man who I know as Carl SxxxxxxN standing near the top of the stairs, who said something like "It was the bald one down there," and at the same time was pointing down the stairs. I then remember seeing Tony GOREMAN come walking up the stairs, and Tony kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Another woman nearby who I don't know said to Tony something like "You pushed her down the stairs," or "You made her fall." Again Tony said "I'm sorry." He repeated this about three times. I then saw that Sue was walking away, and so I said to Tony "See you," and then walked away to catch up with Sue. I walked straight across the Market Place with Sue and Sam and another girl who I didn't know. I walked to the Maydens Head and then I walked towards the High Street, towards McDonalds. As we were walking the bouncer Mickey TANNER ran up to me and I said to him "What’s the matter” I saw that his shirt was covered in blood, he said to me "Where's your mate." By this time I had already seen Gary leave the Market Place down past the Tudor Rose. I did not see Tony again so I don't know whether he followed Gary. When Mickey TANNER asked me where they had gone I was just coming up to the Lloyds Bank and I didn't tell him where Gary had gone, but just pointed vaguely behind me. He called me "a lying cunt" and just ran past me, and then down the cobbled lane, which runs down past the side of the Lloyds Bank. Mickey TANNER was on his own but a few moments later the bouncer who I know as MOORE came running up and I just pointed where Mickey TANNER had run. MOORE ran after him, I then stopped outside the phone box whilst the girls used the telephone. Sam then waited outside the phone box for her boyfriend whilst I carried on walking into the High Street with Sue and the other girl. We then turned left into Norfolk Street and walked towards the road. As we were walking along the part of Norfolk Street which is an actual road a Cavalier Car (I don't know the colour) pulled up. I saw that Sam was in the passenger seat and I therefore assumed that the driver was her boyfriend Mark COTTON although I had never seen him before. Sue and the other girl then went over to the car and after having a brief word they returned. I do not know whether they spoke to either the passenger or the driver or both. At this time we were down near Chicago’s on the opposite side of the road near an alleyway. The car had originally come from the direction of the Tuesday Market Place, and so was facing Railway Road. As the two girls were walking away from the car, and back towards me, the car pulled away, and then pulled across the road towards the side of the road where I was standing. The car stopped and the driver sat and stared at me. He then got out of the car and walked up to me. He said something to me, though I can't remember what he said, or what it was about, and then he hit me with a clenched fist in the right hand side of my mouth. I do not know which hand he hit me with, but as a result of this assault on me I now have a fat lip, and a cut on the inside of my lip. He then got back into the car and drove off, and I saw that Sue and the other girl were standing waiting for me in the nearby alleyway. I had intended to share a cab home with Sue, but the other girl said that Sue could stay with her in her flat in Norfolk Street, and so I just walked home on my own. As I walked away, just after being hit I realised that Terry MAHOFFER was also walking down Norfolk Street, behind me. He was with a group of two to three other people who I didn't know. He called me by my name and then laughed as he said something like "This is a good night, you've just been hit and your mates been beaten up and is out cold near the Lattice House." I think he said something about a rugby shirt but I can't really remember. It didn't really sink in and so I just carried on walking home. I would describe the clothes Gary SEWELL "Was wearing as follows:- Brown kicker boots, blue jeans and a red and grey rugby shirt, whilst Tony GOREMAN was wearing blue jeans, brown suede shoes and an England Rugby shirt with a rose on the left side of the chest. It is red and white or red, white and blue. Over the course of the evening I had had seven pints of lager and one vodka, whilst the other two had had eight pints each. Although I was merry I wouldn't describe myself as having been drunk and my recollection of the events is reasonably clear.
Statement completed at 1515 hrs 2.3.91.
R J WHITE SIGNED
STATEMENT TAKEN
PLACE:
TIME: DATE: 020391
WITNESS TO SIGNATURE: R J WHITE
OFFICERS SIGNATURE: DC 448

No comments: