Friday 1 February 2008

Roof Top Protest



I realised justice wasn't taking it's proper course. So I came up with the idea to go on the roof of the prison to get some publicity to highlight our case. It was getting me down that nothing seemed to be getting done. On my weekly visits to court the prosecutor would stand up and say he had this evidence or that statement but nothing was produced. It turned out he had being misleading the court by using a statement against Karl that had previously been withdrawn by the witness. That person went further than just withdrawing the statement he went on to make allegations against the Police which I will come to later. Anyway I'm getting pissed off. I shared a cell with a prisoner who had been in the Navy. I asked him if he could make a rope out of bed sheets. He assured me if their was one thing he had learn't in the Navy it was how to tie knotts. So I put my trust in him and collected as many sheets as I could. D Day arrived and the plan was that while Karl and I were having exercise in the yard a disturbance would occur in the kitchens. When the alarm bells sounded that was the signal for my cell mate to start throwing the make shift rope out of the cell window. It makes me laugh when I think about it. I had just struck up a conversation with a Prison Officer and the bells went off. The Officer had his back to the prison and as I was talking to him I could see this knotted rope been lowered from a cell window behind him. I asked him if he had to attend the disturbance and unfortunately he did not. He must of seen me keep glancing behind him and he turned round to see what was happening. I could see that my best laid plans ( I knew Of Mice and Men would come in handy one day )were about to go a rye. So I said to the Office "sorry about this" and pushed him to the floor. I immediately ran for the rope and started to climb up it. I was about 30ft up these knotted sheets when I could feel I was being swung about by Prison staff on the floor. There was lots of shouting and cheering and luckily for me the Officers stopped. I didn't fancy kissing the concrete floor beneath me and I made it to the top.The papers said I climbed up scaffolding but I can assure you there wasn't any scaffolding in the exercise yard. So thanks to my Navy friend and a bit of sweat I was on the roof. I immediately threw a note down to the watching screws and assured them that what I was doing had nothing to do with Prison conditions. I also wrote that I didn't intend to do any damage.

No comments: