Saturday 15 March 2008

Gary Sewells Statement

It is better to read this statement after 1st reading the transcripts of his 3 interviews. I will be making comments about this later.

NORFOLK POLICE HEADQUARTERS
NAME: GARY WILLIAM SEWELL
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH: 23 11011968
Who states: etc
DATED: 03031991

I am Gary William Sewell and am 23 yrs of age having been born in King’s Lynn on 11th January 1968. I reside at 29 Browning Place, Seabank Estate, North Lynn; King’s Lynn which is a 2 bed roomed flat. I have lived at this address for the last 3 ½ years and I reside there with my wife Deborah SEWELL, nee WILLIAMS who I married on 1st August 1987. We do not have any children. I am employed as an Environmental Service Technician working from my home address for Houseman Ltd. Which is based in Cambridge House, Cambridge Road, Bedford. I have worked for this company for the last three months.
I have known a man by the name of Tony GORMAN who lives below me in a flat with his wife Kim for the last 3 ½ years since I moved to my present address. However it was only over the last year that Tony and myself got to know each other well and started to socialize together. Once or twice each month on a Friday or a Saturday night, Tony and myself would visit Public Houses in King’s Lynn town centre and more often than not, The Wildfowler Public House King’ Lynn. We would usually visit the following town centre pubs: The Mayden’s Head the Cellar Bar and the New Inn on Wootton Road. We would not usually visit the two nightclubs in town that I know as L.A.’s and Manhattans. We would quite often buy a Kebab from either of the 2 Kebab take away shops in Norfolk Street as we walked home. Tony did not like visiting pubs which were crowded. Tony tended to get a bit loud when he had a few drinks and in the past I have been present when he has been drunk and made silly comments to other men in bars, which has resulted in him been threatened and I have had to intervene to stop a fight ensuing. Tony was aggressive in his attitude when he was drunk which was totally out of character but I never saw him physically assault anyone.
He would openly talk to women in the pubs but never chatted them up. As far as I was knew he was not having any form of affair with women and appeared to have a happy marriage. Tony I don’t believe used a wallet to carry his money in and kept his money in his pocket, including the notes when we went out for an evening, he would usually have £20 with him. I never knew him to carry a cheque book or credit cards with him.
On Friday 1st March 1991 about 5.00 pm Tony came up to my flat and I asked him whether he wanted to go out that evening. He agreed and later we arranged to meet about 7.30pm and I told him I would arrange a taxi. I contacted 766166, I don’t know the name of the taxi firm and at 7.25pm the taxi arrived. I went downstairs to tell Tony who wasn’t quite ready but about 8.25pm we got into the taxi. I don’t know what sort of car it was but I believe it was burgundy in colour and the taxi driver was a male about 45-50 yrs of age. I was wearing a pair of blue jeans, a red rugby shirt with grey sleeves and white collar. I was wearing grey patterned socks and a pair of dark brown “kicker boots”. The shirt had a red circle with “Perry Dixon” on the left breast and on one of the arms. Tony was wearing a pair of blue jeans, a dark brown pair of “Hush Puppies” shoes and a rugby shirt with blue, red and white quarters and white collar and red rose on the left breast. We were driven to The Wildfowler Public House, Gayton Rd but on the way, we drove to Tower Street, to the T.S.B. speed bank where I withdrew £30 from my speed bank card. We arrived at the Wildfowler about 7.45 pm and I paid the taxi fair. Tony and I walked into the bar, were we met Robert White who he bought me and tony a pint of lager shandy. Robert and I had earlier been contacted by Tony to see if he wanted to come out that evening.
Generally, Robert would come out with Tony and myself and he was a workmate from a previous employment. Robert was a wearing a thick Arran woollen jumper. Cream in colour and I believe dark coloured trousers possibly lightly checked. He was wearing tan coloured “kicker boots”. Tony mentioned to us in the Wildfowler he had chips and 2 pies and had a bath afterwards which made him feel a bit rough. I told him to liven up as he seemed a bit staid. Tony had a couple of further shandys and I had a pint or 2 of lager and Robert had a pint of lager and a whisky while we were in the pub. I only remember seeing 1 person in the pub who I only know as Roy he used to work at Lynn Tool with me. He is a Geordie in his late 40s with a moustache, of stocky build with a beer belly, about 5’8” tall with thin whispy greasy greying hair. He was wearing scruffy casual clothes. I have an idea he lives somewhere on the Fairstead Estate. I spoke to Row, I believe Robert may have done, but Tony didn’t. I don’t think Tony spoke to anyone apart from Robert and myself whilst we were in the pub. I believe it was Robert who ordered a taxi about 9.30pm and shortly afterwards it arrived. The taxi arrived shortly afterwards, I can’t remember anything about the taxi, but the driver was in his 40’s, large build, about 5’ 10” tall. When the taxi arrived in the pub, Tony asked him if he had come for us. The driver said no and that he had come to pick up some regulars. He returned to his car and returned shortly afterwards stating it was us he had to pick up. When we arrived at the New Inn, I got out of the front passenger seat and all three of us walked to the Sports Bar. We stood at the bar and ordered a pint for each of us, I can’t remember who paid. I then became aware that the taxi driver was standing there and started accusing us of not having paid the fare. I do not know whether the fare had in fact been paid, as I had already paid one taxi earlier on. The taxi told the women barmaid not to serve us until we left and shortly afterwards, he left without mentioning it any further. None of us three spoke to anyone else in the New Inn and only stayed for one pint.
We then decided to leave to go the Cellar Bar in the Town Centre, and we left the pub and in the pub car park we saw a couple of boys getting into a sliver coloured Maestro car. The car reversed from its position and all three of us spoke to the occupants and asked them if they were going into town centre and if they would give us a lift. They said they would and told us to get in. The car was G registered. I will describe the driver as follows: - about 20-22 yrs of age, of medium build, I can’t recall anything else about him. The other man I cannot describe at all but was about the same age. We drove down the northern bypass through Wootton gap lights and from conversing with them, I gained the impression they were not originally from Kings Lynn area but were working in this area bit I do not know what type of work. I asked them if they would drive to my house as I suffered from asthma and my chest was getting tight and I felt I needed to use my inhaler which was at home. We drove to the Seabank Estate via Loke Road and I picked up my inhaler. The two youths then drove us into the town centre and stopped outside the Maydens Head on the Tuesday Market Place, where we got out. The two youths said that they were going to pick a friend up and go to a party.
I think it was now about 10.30pm. We walked into the Maydens Head but didn’t even walk to the bar as it was so crowded. We left immediately and walked across the Tuesday Market Place car park towards the Cellar Bar. I believe Tony may have acknowledged someone in the Maydens Head but I did not see who. We walked down the front steps of the cellar Bar and I think there was a man in the doorway wearing glasses. He was of heavy build and I thought to myself that he looked similar to Mickey Teal who I knew works as a doorman at the Cellar Bar but it wasn’t him. I believe I paid £ 1 admission fee to this man and we walked to the area of the bar just inside the club. Tony bought a round of drinks and I may have had a shandy. We walked around the club together. I remember speaking to a man by the name of ‘chips’ whose real name is Andrew and whose dad’s name is Barry. He lives with his parents near to me and is road worker by trade. He is about 20 yrs of age, thick set, about 6’2” tall, with short dark coloured hair. I believe he was wearing an England tracksuit strip top and jeans. I spoke to him about damaging my hands, an incident which I will now describe. I believe Tony have also spoken to ‘Chips’. I had only been in the Cellar Bar for about half an hour to an hour and the club was becoming packed with people. Tony, I knew had gone upstairs to the toilet and I decided to go upstairs to see if he was alright as he had been gone for while. At the top of the stairs I saw Tony talking to a youth who I will describe as follows: - About 20 yrs of age, about 5’10” tall, of medium, build and was wearing light coloured clothing. I said to Tony “come on Tony lets go downstairs” and he said “look fuck off Gary, I’m talking to someone about my brother”. Tony appeared annoyed I had interrupted him. I gathered Tony was referring to his younger brother who had dies from as asthma attack a couple of years earlier. At this point I saw another man had arrived at the top of the stairs and he then pushed me against a wall and said “yes fucking leave it” This man I would describe as between 20-25yrs of age, well built about 6” tall, with blonde hair which has long over his ears and had a parting in the middle. I did not notice that he was wearing. I said words to the effect that I wasn’t causing any trouble. This annoyed me and Tony’s attitude towards me and I walked to the bottom of the stairs and in frustration as I have done before in these situations, I punched a wall which was covered in plaster. As a result of this I badly bruised both my hands, causing swelling. About 5-10 minutes later I went and spoke to a man who I know as Mickey Teal who works as a doorman at the premises and who I have known for the last few months since I have used the Cellar Bar. He was standing had a go at me up the stairs near the toilets and that I had hit him. I showed him my hands and Mickey jokingly got hold of one of my hands and squeezed it. Mickey probably knows me by my nickname of ‘squirrel’. I told Mickey the description of the man who pushed me but told him this was the man I had hit which was not the truth and I just wanted to impress Mickey. Mickey said that he may know this man but said if I saw him to point him out and he would sort him out. Mickey Teal was wearing a light coloured shirt but I cannot recall what else he was wearing. I cannot recall anybody else that I knew in the cellar bar at this stage and I did not see Tony talk to anybody who by this time had returned to me. He told me that the youth he was talking to upstairs had known his brother but did not elaborate on this. About half an hour later, I was standing by a table in the area between the disco console and the stairs leading up to the toilets. I believe Tony was standing next to me together with Robert White. There may been another couple of people in the immediate at that time but I cannot give any description. A man walked over to me from the direction of the disco console and stood right up close to me add said words to the effect of “what are you staring at”. I said “nothing mate, I don’t want any hassle, leave me alone”. The man was firmly aggressive in his attitude but never touched me. I would describe him as being about 25 yrs of age, about 6’2” tall, of medium build. He had flat straight blonde/ mousey coloured hair which was thinning, which was short but not shaved. He was wearing casual clothes but I cannot give any description. He was by himself. This man then walked towards the front of the club and returned with Mickey Teal, he said that’s only Gary he’s alright. Both Tony and Robert would have seen this incident. About 12.30am, Robert, Tony and myself were in the same position when I stood up from sitting in the chair and I felt something hit my shoulder and fall onto the floor. I then realised that a television had fallen of its bracket above my head and fell onto the floor. Mickey Teal came running over to me and I told him that he hadn’t touched it. He jokingly told me not to throw televisions about and told me not to worry about it. He walked away and someone came and cleared up the mess. I believe the man I have referred to as Chips may have been in the area at this time. Within the next half an hour, the disc jockey announced over the disco system that it was time to leave. The lights in the bar came on and Tony was beside me at this stage together with Robert White. Robert walked to the front door in front of me and I noticed there was a lot of people leaving at the same time. Robert and I walked out of the front doors and up the steps and stayed around the top of the steps talking to Robert and waiting for Tony to come out. We waited a couple of minutes and people were still walking out and as Tony hadn’t come out I went down the steps. I then saw Tony halfway down the stairs talking to a person I know as Carl Sxxxxxxn who I have known for many years. They appeared to be arguing in raised voices but I could not hear what was being said.
I saw a person at the bottom of the stairs who I recognised as Jay Hamman who used to work as a doorman at the Lattice House Public House. Jay was just standing there and I heard Carl Sxxxxxxn say to Tony “I’ll get fucking Mickey and he’ll sort you out”. I took it Sxxxxxxn was referring to Mickey TEAL. Carl started to walk down the steps and walked into the Cellar Bar and I followed him as I wanted to speak to both Sxxxxxxn and Mickey TEAL to stop any trouble that might erupt. I went into the cellar Bar and Carl was describing Tony to Mickey TEAL, referring to Tony as” That little London shit”. I said to Mickey “Let’s fucking leave it” although I did not know what the cause was. Mickey was standing by a pillar near the front door and he rushed out and started to walk up the steps. I got myself in front of Mickey and tried to stop Mickey approaching the top of the steps by standing in front of him and trying to reason with him. I believe Carl Sxxxxxxn was behind us at the bottom of the steps nearer to the club. Mickey TEAL then grabbed hold of me around the throat, I believe using his left hand, squeezed tightly causing me difficulty in breathing. He then head butted me a number of times, I cannot recall exactly how many times, on my forehead. He appeared to have gone berserk and was smiling aggressively and there was nothing I could do to free myself. I understood him to be referring to me trying to calm him down and from approaching Tony. Wayne and Jay HAMMAN were certainly in the area of the steps at this time and they tried to restrain Mickey from hitting me. The man I paid the admission fee to at the entrance to the Cellar Bar was also there and he was also trying to restrain Mickey TEAL. I finally managed to free myself from Mickey TEAL’s grasp and as I was facing the river Ouse. I turned round and quickly started walking up Page Stair Lane. I was there were a number of people around the steps at this time but as my main aim was to get away; I didn’t take any notice of who was there. I could not see Tony or Robert WHITE and in fact I never saw Robert again that evening. I walked towards the Tudor Rose along the footpath that adjoins Radio Norfolk offices and Tuesday Market Place. I believe Tony came from behind me and told me my eye was cut. I was aware there was blood around my face. I cannot recall seeing anybody else on the Tuesday market Place at this time. We walked together towards the Tudor Rose and as we got to the junction with Ward Gethin Solicitors, still on the same side of the road on the pavement, three men walked over to us from the direction of the Tuesday Market Place, from behind my right shoulder. I remember there were a number of cars on the Tuesday Market Place opposite the Radio Norfolk offices and this is why I would not have been able to see them previously. They approached us and one of them said” You’ve had a fucking good kicking” and then looking at Tony he said “Now it’s your turn”. Tony said something back but I didn’t hear what was said. I remember from our position I could still see the entrance to the High Street. The man who spoke I will describe as follows: between 20-25 yrs of age, about 5 "10" tall of medium build, of short dark coloured hair which was tidy and short at the sides. This man had an angular and long face. He did not wear spectacles. He was wearing jeans and a dark coloured top of some form, but was not wearing a jacket. He had something white in his hands and I gained the impression it was some form of take-away package, similar in size to something like a small kebab. His voice did not appear to be right; this may be because he had a sarcastic attitude towards us. The other two men I cannot give any description, other than they were dressed casually, the same age group as the first described man and one was shorter in height, about 5"7" tall. One of this group was wearing tan coloured kicker boots but I cannot recall which one. As soon as Tony said what he said to the man, which I did not hear, he ran along the middle of the road towards the Tudor Rose. The three men immediately ran after Tony and caught up with him outside the Tudor Rose in the middle of the road. Tony turned round and three men immediately began kicking and punching him. I saw Tony wave his arms about towards them as if to protect himself and I believe he may have made contact with at least one of them. I walked slowly to-wards the car park that adjoins the Lattice House Pub as I didn’t want to get involved in a further fight. I saw Tony manage to free himself and by this time he was able to remain on his feet. He ran into the gravel car park and ran towards the Lattice House and I walked back towards the Tudor Rose. I saw that one of this group had tan kicker boots on during the initial fight outside the Tudor Rose. I then saw that the group had reached Tony the other side, of the gravel car park by the Lattice House and were kicking and punching him. All three men were doing this and by now Tony was lying on the gravel of the car park with the three men continuing to assault him. I walked down towards the Naval Reserve, past Trimoco garage, into John Kennedy Road and cut through into Loke Road, past the entrance to the Retreat Public House and using a side road, into Loke Rd. As I walked into Loke Road, I saw a girl walking in the direction of Columbia Way. I asked her about my injuries and whether I needed hospital treatment. She said I could use her phone but didn't say where she lived. She was about 20 yrs of age and I think she had shoulder length straight hair. I cannot recall any other description of her. A taxi then stopped in Loke Rd and the girl got in and the girl asked the taxi driver if he could take me to the hospital. There was already another youth in the taxi in the rear seat who told me his name was Eamon PAYNE. He told me he had found someone lying on the ground in the town centre and he had put him in the recovery position and that he was injured. Eamon told me he had phoned for an ambulance for the man. The taxi driver then drove me to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where I was treated for my injuries. As a result of the assault on me by Teal, I have received a cut above my right eye below the right eyebrow which required external stitches. I also received a graze above my left eyebrow on my forehead and minor bruising to my throat. I agree with the decision made by the Police regarding prosecution. I would estimate that Tony spent between £13-16 during the evening out with me.

G W SEWELL SIGNED

DATE: 030391

OFFICERS SIGNATURE DET CON 557 FROST

No comments: