Saturday 29 March 2008

Statement of Gary Withers

NORFOLK POLICE HEADQUARTERS STATION

NAME: GARY JAMES WITHERS
ADDRESS:
AGE / DATE OF BIRTH: 22 13031968
OCCUPATION: BOOKBINDER
Who states: This statement consisting of 3 pages, each signed
by me, is true to the best of my knowledge and belief, and I make
it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I shall be liable to
prosecution if I have wilfully stated in it anything which I know
to be false or do not believe to be true.
DATED: 210291 G J WITHERS (SIGNED)
I am the above named person and I live at the address overleaf. In the incident I am about to describe I was wearing blue jeans, a beige sweatshirt with a roll neck collar and white trainers. On the evening of Friday 1st. March, 1991, 1 went for a drink with Carl GREEN of 15 Camfrey, Kings Lynn. I can only recall that he was wearing jeans. We went into Kings Lynn town centre somewhere between 8 o'clock and half past 8 that night. We went to the Malting’s, Paige Stair Lane, The Maydens Head, The Wenns, Chicago’s and the Lattice House, before returning to the Maydens Head. In there in on my second visit I met up with Howard ALLAN. About quarter to 11 I left the Maids with Howard and Carl, I can't remember who was there for sure except for Carl. When I got to the Cellar Bar I had to pay £1 admission. I do not know who I paid this too. This is only the third time I have been in the Cellar Bar since it has been open so I am not familiar with the doormen and I can't recall which of them were on the door when I went in. The was packed when I got in there. I want to the bar and got a drink. Carl was with me for about another twenty minutes. I don’t know what happened to him after that. I had spoken to Howard ALLAN in the Cellar Bar but only for .a short time. I left the Cellar Bar about half past 12. As I was leaving I saw Howard again and asked him how he was getting home and the two of us decided to share a taxi as we live quite near each other. As we left we passed some people still going in and there was a group of people at the top of the stairs. I don't know who they were. We walked diagonally across the Tuesday Market Place and down Surrey Street, between the two banks. Howard had a look in the window of what used to be Glebe Taxis in Chapel Street. He said there were alot of people in there, so we walked off towards Norfolk Street. We had just got on the corner of Norfolk Street and Chapel Street when an empty taxi came along. We flagged him down it was "Just the Job" taxis. As he didn't have a fare he took to Holten Road, which is where Howard lives and dropped us off. When he picked us up he drove along Chapel Street, past the Lattice House and then took the first right along Austin Street. He then drove us straight to Gaywood. I do not recall seeing any trouble at all during the time that I was in the Cellar Bar. At no time whilst I was in Chapel Street, either on foot or in the taxi did I see any sort or trouble. I must say that my recollections of that night are somewhat hampered in that I was drunk having had about twelve pints, of Guiness. The only person I can remember seeing in the Cellar Bar that I know was Emma the barmaid. I have just remember that as I was walking out of the Cellar Bar I saw the one doorman that I do know, standing at the door, it was Micky TEAL. At this time there was nothing unusual that I noticed about his appearance.
G J WITHERS SIGNED
STATEMENT TAKEN PLACE:
TIME: DATE: 210391
WITNESS TO SIGNATURE: G J WITHERS
OFFICERS SIGNATURE: DS BULL

No comments: